There is a lot that is happening in worship this month. On June 13th we will officially be welcoming two new members. On June 20th, our last regular service of the church year, we will be having our first in-person Sunday worship since the start of the pandemic! And, on June 27th we will share the UUA Sunday Worship at 12 p.m. in Zoom in place of our regular service.
Here are some important things you need to know about the worship on June 20th, which will also be our Flower Communion:
- The in-person service starts at 9:45 am and will last for about 30 minutes.
- It will be held outside in the Gathering Area.
- There will be music, but no singing.
- You will have to bring enough chair(s) (or a blanket) for all people in your group to sit on.
- You will have to register if you plan to attend. Make sure that you provide a number where we can reach you (by voice or text) in case of last-minute changes.
- The current policy for gatherings on our campus requires masks.
- If you have a COVID “bubble” or “pod” that you would like to sit with, make sure everyone who will be with you is listed on one registration form. We will mark off seating areas on Saturday, and we want to make sure we get it right!
- There will be a separate virtual service, but it will start at 11 a.m.
We have estimated that the capacity of the Gathering Area is about 75 people. If you are interested in attending, here is the link to registration information and the form:
Since it is Flower Communion, we are asking you to send in photographs of flowers for inclusion in a slideshow for the virtual service. We will not be collecting flowers in the live service, but we will have a special kind of “flower” for you to take home with you.
We need volunteers to help with so much. We need volunteers to help set up for the service in the Gathering Area on June 20th, but we also need volunteers for all of the other activities and events that are, and will be, taking place at CVUU, as well. As we look toward gathering more frequently, we will need all of those who are a part of this community to help in ways we are still discovering. Please send me an email at email@example.com, put “Volunteer” in the subject line and let me know what you can do to help get us back together again.
If you are coming to the in-person service on the 20th, you will have a chance to do something nice for individuals in need. We will be collecting menstrual hygiene products for people who are living in homeless shelters. There are many indignities to being homeless; lack of access to sanitary products should not be one of them. Last year, CVUU’s generosity enabled the donation of approximately 40 pounds of products to four Norfolk and Virginia Beach shelters. We are only collecting on one day, but let’s see what we can do this year.
This month the General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association (GA) will be taking place virtually. There are a lot of events that are available to the public, and you can find those here: https://www.uua.org/ga/off-site/2021. I will talk more about GA at the Annual Meeting on June 13th. We should all say “thank you” to Sally Daniel, Rayven Holmes, Stacia Sanders and Doug Throp for serving as our delegates!
As usual, the Check-In and Chat will be tomorrow at 11 a.m. in Zoom. I hope to see you there! Click here to join or enter the Zoom meeting information (Meeting ID: 870 1011 9918 and Passcode: 4430).
For those of you who may be interested, here is a link to the virtual game I played during the service:
I have “died” more times than I can count, and I have still not beaten it!
If you decide to play it yourself, here is a song that you can listen to that might give you some inspiration, “Pinball Wizard” sung by Elton John.
In peace and love,
Rev. Viola Abbitt (She/Her/Hers)
Coastal Virginia Unitarian Universalists
809 South Military Highway
Virginia Beach, VA 23464