Introducing 809 South Military
The CVUU Board of Directors, on behalf of the congregation, purchased the property at 809 South Military Highway, a former professional office building, in the Indian River section of Virginia Beach in April of 2017.
- It’s big, boasting 9+ acres, 111 parking spaces and 24,000 square feet
- It’s high and dry with 6 to 8 feet of margin above likely storm flooding and and the building is dry in modeled Category 3 hurricane storm surge flooding.
- It’s centrally located with convenient access from I-64, I-264, and Indian River Road.
Because the building was finished for professional offices, it required remodeling to serve as a house of worship. This remodeling replaced the period mechanical systems, dated lavatories, and tired interior surfaces.
The Board and Sacred Space Team have been working with local architect Robyn Thomas for the last 16 months to bring CVUU to life. As part of her work, Robyn developed conceptual designs and engaged an acoustical engineer to assist with the design of the social hall and sanctuary spaces.
The building was built in 1959-1960 and used but not abused. Because of its age, the building needed an extensive renovation to restore its attractiveness. Among the many changes were
- Bringing city water and sewers onto the property
- Updating the electrical service
- Installing modern energy management, heating, and cooling systems.
- Installing modern energy efficient LED lighting and lighting management systems.
- Installing modern access controls
- Installing digital video and audio distribution and data networking systems
- Providing mesh WiFi service in meeting areas
- Insulating the exterior walls, sanctuary ceiling, and social wall ceiling.
- Replacing the existing lavatories with new lavatories adequate for full house Sunday services
- Installing new sound and lighting systems in the sanctuary and social hall
- Installing new assistive listening systems throughout the meeting spaces using modern technology compatible with modern hearing aids.
- Repaving parts of the carpark
The new building has the following characteristics
- About 22,000 square feet of meeting and office space
- A large kitchen and prep space to support pot luck means, NEST hot meals, and social gathering meals or reception catering.
- A sanctuary seating 200 + having clear site lines and a balcony for those lofty of spirit. The sanctuary design and surface treatments tune the space for good performing acoustics.
- A new PA tuned to the space allows those in back or on the balcony to hear the service.
- A new T-Loop assistive listening system will transmit directly to T-Coil capable hearing aids without need for an additional receiver and headphones. Portable receivers will serve those not currently using hearing aids.
- Nursery and toddler space with toddler sized lavatory.
- Space for a laundry, records storage, fair trade shop, etc.
- ADA compliant access and egress meeting modern fire codes.
- Lift serving the second and third floors for normal access and moving stuff.
- Courtyard and playground
- Landscaped grounds with wetlands and tree grove buffer